Friday, July 08, 2011

Notes from the Road: On the Radio

[Some notes after my four day drive, beginning in Tulsa, OK, and ending up in Connecticut.]

I frequently hit 'scan' on my radio console to help me stay awake on my solo trek. Five-second blips of song mingled with intermittent bursts of static and raucous dj squawks will do a lot to keep you going without overdosing on caffeine. (That, and turning the ac to its coldest and strongest settings and freezing yourself for thirty seconds.)

With that said, here is a rough rundown of the most overplayed (or overblipped) songs across the radio stations of America:
-Katy Perry, Extraterrestrial (ET), Last Friday Night, Firework (Ms. Perry was far and away the winner of this overplay showdown)
-Black-eyed Peas, Just Can't Get Enough
-Adele, Rolling in the Deep
-Train, Save Me San Francisco
-Britney, some godawful guttural techno that I never figured out the name to
-Ke$ha, Blow
-The Script, Break Even
-OneRepublic, Secrets/The Good Life (only other artist [besides KP] to get two frequently played numbers)
-Bruno Mars, The Lazy Song
-Taylor Swift, Mean
-Ceelo Green, F You

Most of these are wretched. "The Lazy Song." Britney's "music." Anything Ke$ha has ever, ever done, or will do. It was nice to hear Adele getting so much air time, but even so, it got pretty old, pretty fast.

On the other hand, sometimes scans would yield gems:
-WHAM!, Careless Whisper

And that's all I need to say about that.

More notes from the road possibly in the future. For now, I must needs unpack.

No comments: