Thursday, September 23, 2010

"in the midst of life we are in death"

That's a line from the Requiem from the Book of Common Prayer. I like it.

A personal side effect of going to funerals is that I being to think about what I have for posterity. I always end up thinking I should start writing more. Since, in childhood, I periodically destroyed everything I produced, there's really not much that remains. Good luck to whoever writes my memoirs.* All they'll have to go on are this blog, facebook, a few documents on ye olde laptop, journals starting in 2007, and possibly some random letters I've composed. I've been thinking about writing more letters (I love love love writing/getting letters) and maybe composing them on carbon paper so that if anyone writes back, I'll know what I said. Thank you, 21st century, for my three-second attention span.
I've been thinking about sending flowers to people who are still alive to appreciate them. I've been thinking about the kinds of things I'll want people to say when I die. I've been thinking about when I'll sit in the "reserved for family" section, sending off the ones I love best in all the world.

I should go check out that carbon paper and price flower deliveries. (The kitchen needs to be cleaned too, but that's way less interesting.)

*No one's going to write my memoirs. I'm pretty sure.

No comments: