Friday, July 02, 2010

Speed Racer

After bachelorette-partying til around 12.30 (we so crazy!) (said bachelorette party consisting of Mexican food, chocolate, underpants, and in-depth discussion of menstruation managements strategies. Awesome.), got up at 5 a.m. to drive to Springfield to pick up Mo and made it back to T-town by 11.
According to Google Maps that drive is 2 hours and 55 minutes. According to Colleen's Driving it's more like 2 hours and 20 minutes.
I love driving alone. Modify that: I love driving long stretches of highway alone, when I'm heading someplace and there's no rush, no demand, no stress waiting for me at the end of it. In leaving at 5.30 (by the time I'd filled up the car and hit the road) I was up before the sun, and I had a solid 45-minutes or so when I was mostly alone on 44-E, just me and the pre-dawn world: dim early light and the occasional 18-wheeler and Jesus.
Delightful.
When I am driving alone I can do all sorts of things: pray; sing; skip songs on whatever cd I'm playing according to the song's appropriateness for weather, season, time of day, and mood of me; pretend I can fly; pretend I'm escaping; pretend I'm going home; pretend I'm an adventurer (still one of the best dreams); pretend pretend pretend. And I'm still being productive, I'm still accomplishing something: it's a few hours of movement, of freedom from the demands of life, even while fulfilling them.

Friends are all coming to town for the wedding tomorrow. I love it.

1 comment: